High Heels and Training Wheels: DIY Foot Soak: Summer-Ready Feet

header1

5.28.2013

DIY Foot Soak: Summer-Ready Feet

Ok so anyone who knows me, knows I loathe feet. Some people have a foot fetish (ew!), I have a foot phobia. I don't want to touch them, look at them or be anywhere around them. Unfortunately for me, I have 2 attached to the bottom of my legs...or fortunately, depending on how you wanna look at it. I don't think I'd enjoy walking around on stumps either! But anyway there is one thing worse than feet, and that is ugly feet. I have what I believe to be ugly foot syndrome. Or U.F.S. (No, that's not actually a real thing) Of course I can't really judge objectively because I hate all feet equally and my disgust knows no bounds, but I have spent my life barefoot and that's taken its toll. I hate socks and shoes almost as much as I hate feet. But while walking around barefoot feels great, it does not do kind things to the state of your feet...
So there are numerous ways you can go about treating U.F.S. (Nope, still not a real thing) You can buy those weird foot files or pumice stones and "buff" off your skin, but that just creeps me out. I can't even file my nails without getting the willies. And I mean, it's basically like sand paper for your feet. Who wants to clean up foot shavings?? Groooooss. But luckily, there's an easier (and less traumatizing) way.
I found this foot soak ages ago and wrote it down; like with an honest-to-God pen and paper (how very retro of me). Anyway, I just found it buried in a stack of papers, decided to give it a whirl and it worked wonders! You only need 3 ingredients; one being water and the other 2 you probably already have in your house.


You will need:
  • 1/2 cup Mouthwash (any mouthwash will do; I used Equate)
  • 1/2 cup Vinegar (I used apple cider vinegar)
  • 1 cup Water (of the H20 variety)

Mix them together in a shallow container of some sort. I used an old Pyrex pie transporter that we don't use anymore. (Trust me, we will not be serving food out of that again!) Soak your feet while drinking a glass of wine and reading celebrity gossip. Well, that last part isn't exactly necessary but you should still do it. I soaked for 15 minutes and had good results, but next time I think I'll go a little longer. The time would really depend on what state you're beginning with. After the soak, wipe your feet with a towel to remove any loose skin. Voila! Smooth feet!


So just for you guys, I'll show you the before and after pictures of my feet (Ew!) so you can see how well it did. Don't count on it ever happening again though!





Gah! That's a lot of feet! But as you can see, it made a big difference in just 15 minutes. They're still only ever going to just be feet but at least they look a whole lot better. It's just a few bucks and a few minutes so go ahead and give it a try! Until next time...


UPDATE
Hey guys! I just recently stumbled upon a blog post where someone had tried this foot soak. It didn't turn out so well for her and I wanted to talk what happened to her and why I think it happened; just so it won't happen to you! Now, she didn't use this "recipe" exactly but she did use the same ingredients and after doing a little research I found that a lot of people were having the same problem: blue feet!


My "after" pictures were taken only minutes after leaving the foot soak; in fact, they were still a little damp. As you can see, my feet obviously didn't turn blue; not even a hint of color. So what happened to theirs? Well, there are 2 subtle differences that I think may have caused it.


  1. The type of vinegar. I used apple cider vinegar because that's what I happened to have on hand. The common thread with the unfortunate blue-feet sufferers was white vinegar. I'm not sure as to what white vinegar has in it that apple cider does not that would cause the color change but I did notice nearly every one of them had used white. I am guessing it has some sort of conductor that transfers the blue onto the skin and AVC doesn't have this.
  2. The type/brand of mouthwash. Now obviously a blue mouthwash is blue because it has a dye in it and that dye is what was transferring to their skin. My mouthwash was in fact blue, but I didn't have any color transfer and I believe that has all to do with the vinegar, like I said above. If for some reason still you prefer to use white vinegar, you should get a mouthwash that doesn't have any dye in it. Obviously the clear mouthwash would work and there is a "gold" Listerine that would work well too. 

That's not any real science or anything; it's all pretty common sense. But, if you didn't know about this possibility and what causes it, you could end up blue too! If you're still weary of that possibility though and you aren't willing to risk it, you can substitute 1 tbsp of salt for the mouthwash. I don't feel that it has quite the same results but it still works pretty well. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions!
 photo Signature.png
You can also find High Heels on Bloglovin'TwitterFacebook and Pinterest!

8 comments :

  1. I'm definitely going to try this out! TOMS make my feet so gross!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That really seems to work! I must try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should try this. I use a pumice stone and Dr.Scholls foot cream - works great too! But this is good for when the feet get really bad... like now! haha! {I found you via A Bowl Full of Lemons}

    ReplyDelete
  4. ALL of my flats make my feet gross! Especially coming out of winter when the weather is so dry!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do it! It's an odd concoction that looks pretty nasty and smells pretty bad too but it REALLY works!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It really is good! I've tried the pumice stone but I get goosebumps even thinking about it! It's nice to literally just set there and let the soak do all the work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Finally, somebody who has before feet that look like mine. :D Thanks for your keeping it real post and this luxurious idea. I'm all over it. Thanks for sharing.
    pam

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha! Well, it really does help!

    ReplyDelete

So how do you feel about this post? Inspired? Thrilled? Or maybe it was terrible? Well, I hope it wasn't terrible...but let it out anyway!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
09 10 11 12
Blogging tips